Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A spring hodgepodge of stuff



Welcome one and all to Spring 2014!  Hope the holidays were fabulous to you and yours, and that your new year has started out with a bang — or at the very least, with little if any snow.  (What up, fellow east-coasters!)

As I’m sure will come as no surprise to those who know us; 2014 got off to a roaring start in the Malone house.  I’m happy to report that my first ever panel at this year’s illogicon in Raleigh went off rather well, despite a few pre-show jitters on my part.  We had a nice turnout, and I’d like to thank everyone who stopped by, as well as my partner on the panel — Lynn MacNamee of Red Adept Publishing.

Now it’s off to April when I’ll be part of a similar panel on indie publishing at this year’s ALT*Con in my hometown of Tallahassee.  Stay tuned here and on FB/Twitter for date/time specifics as they unfold.

RSD edits continue

The second draft of RED SKY DAWNING (Book Two n THE MAKO SAGA) continues to unfold.  Now that I’m back in the swing of things, I’ve had the chance to really dig into the content, and while there’s obviously loads to do, I’m happy to report that much of the story’s content from draft one remains intact.  As was certainly the case in book one, I find that the action scenes are always the toughest to write — a point usually reflected in my page count at the end of a given writing day.  Give me a setting, a conversation, and a pair of characters, and I’ll bang out 3,000 words in two hours.  But exposition, world-building, and tactical design?  

… Yep, put on a fresh pot of coffee and bunker in, cuz it’s gonna be a while.

I will say this, however, with regard to story differences: RSD is a more serious piece than MAKO in a lot of respects.  Believe me, you’ll pick that up in the prologue, and it’s a theme that carries straight through the entire story.  Don’t get me wrong, RSD still has all of the party humor, snarky dialogue, and pop culture references that most of you dug about book one… that’s the Renegades.  But this is a story set five years after the events of MAKO, and A LOT has changed in the lives of every member of the team.

MAKO hits actual bookshelves!

I’m also happy to report that MAKO may soon be available for purchase at your neighborhood brick and mortar bookstore!  As a lot of folks know (especially other indie authors), many independent shops won’t deal with CreateSpace as it’s owned by Amazon… you know, the 800-lb gorilla that’s presently trying to put them all out of business?

So, for that reason, I’ve expanded my distribution net by opening an account with Ingram Spark, and as such, bookstores can now go online to IS and order MAKO at wholesale by simply using its ISBN (978-0989032704).

FYI to anyone near Tally, I’ll be discussing a lot of this at the ALT*Con panel next month.  Trust me, this may seem like a fairly trivial thing at first glance, but it’s really not.  

R-E-S-P-E-C-T for Bucs fans… FINALLY!

As most of you are probably not Bucs fans, I won’t dwell on this.  But given the absolute nightmare surrounding my favorite NFL team for much of the last decade (most of which was self-inflected on account of piss-poor leadership from the front office), I can’t tell you just how stoked I am to see Lovie Smith in charge and making changes.  Greg Schiano, like Raheem Morris before him, was a joke of a hire — A., because he wasn’t remotely qualified for the head job, and B., because he had no clue how to manage an NFL locker room once he got it.

Smith, by contrast, is the antithesis of this.  He’s a great coach with fantastic credentials and strong ties to the Tampa community.  Moreover, he’s a man of impeccable character who commands the respect of all who know him.  To put it another way: he’s a leader, and a damn good one… something this team has sorely lacked since the Gruden days, and some even question whether we really had it then.

Great hire, Tampa Bay… finally.  Now let’s go play some football!

Okay guys, that’s gonna do it for Blog One of 2014.  Take care, keep in touch, and as always… Happy Reading!!!

RUAH!
 
IJM

8 comments:

  1. شركة تنظيف سجاد بالمدينة المنورة
    أفضل شركة قد تتعامل معها هي شركة تنظيف سجاد بالمدينة المنورة لأنهم يقومون بتنظيف السجاد بطريقة رائعة جداً و مختلفة عن أى شركة أخرى مما جعل دقة التنظيف عاليه جداً و أفضل من الشركات الأخرى التى تعاملت معاها انصح الجميع بالتعامل معهم فهم حقا متميزون فى مجالهم و لدينا خدمات شاملة مبنية على الخبرة الطويلة مما يجعلنا الأفضل دائماً بدون منافس أو بديل في جميع أنحاء المدينة المنورة و الأماكن المجاورة لها فقط اتصل بنا واحصل على الخدمة المناسبة في الوقت المناسب و بالسعر المناسب فشركة تنظيف سجاد بالمدينة المنورة شركة رائدة في مجال التنظيف تسعى دائماً لتوفير الأفضل لجميع عملائها من مختلف الطبقات.

    ReplyDelete